Applying for our Master's Programme
Study begin: winter semester, application deadline: April 15th
- Study begin: Winter Semester (lectures start in October, orientation programme in September)
- Application deadline: 15th April (for a start in October in the same year)
- Programme is fully taught in English - no proof of German skills necessary
- Online application system (ZEuS) will open mid-March
- No tuition fees for EU/EEA citizens.
- You're welcome to apply even if you've not yet graduated and are in your final year.
March 1-3, 2023
Interested in the MSc Economics, but you still have questions? Then come to our online info session There we will present all important facts and figures and more important answer all your questions from the application process to the exchange possibilities.
Our Master's programme is for you if:
- you have graduated or will graduate (final year) from a Bachelor's programme in Economics (or another subject providing a sufficient quantitative background, such as business administration, mathematics or the natural sciences) with an above average degree.
- you have a keen interest in economic theory and empirical methods as well as application to real-world economic phenomena
- you bring along strong analytical and quantitative skills
An above average degree in an at least 3-year Bachelor's programme from a recognized university in economics or a related degree, e.g. mathematics or natural sciences with a significant quantitative component.
You're welcome to apply if you're in your final year of your Bachelor's programme. Just submit your current academic transcript as pdf (with an officially certified translation into English or German, if applicable).
Evidence of knowledge acquired in mathematics, statistics, or economics during your Bachelor's degree course.
CV and motivation letter
Please include a curriculum vitae in English as well as a one-page statement of purpose written in English showing your suitability and motivation for pursuing the Master's programme.
English language skills
Proof of sufficient English language skills through one of the following language tests:
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (minimum grade: C)
- IELTS (minimum overall band: 6.5)
- TOEFL (minimum score: 580 points/ paper-based test, 237 points/computer-based test, or 92 points (internet-based test).
- Required documentation: original score sheet from one of the above-named tests
Konstanz' BSc students: Please inquire regarding the proof of English proficiency via email.
Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation from university teachers who are able to comment on your suitability and motivation for participating in the Master's programme.
You should submit a GRE test. Although we do not require a minimum score, you enhance your chances of admission with a good score.
As a general rule, you will not be able to substitute GRE scores with GMAT scores. However, if you are unable to take the test, please attach a short explanation and GMAT scores to your application.
Please make sure you have all supporting documents at hand when starting the online application. No application documents need to be sent by post. However, successful applicants will be required to submit all documents in original or as officially certified copies upon registration at the University of Konstanz.
- Official academic transcript of grades in mathematics, statistics, and economics during your university studies. Please clearly mark these modules. Course descriptions may be added. Scanned PDF of originals and officially certified translations into English or German only.
- Scanned language test sheet proving English proficiency as outlined above.
- Results of the GRE test (Scanned PDF of original score sheet only. If you cannot take the test upload a short explanation)
- Full curriculum vitae in English.
- Degree certificate(s) (scanned PDF of originals and officially certified translations into English or German only)
- One-page statement of purpose in English demonstrating your suitability and motivation
- Two letters of recommendation by university lecturers at your institution. The letters have to be sent by the referees as pdf via email. If the letter is in another language, an officially certified translation into English or German must also be provided. Letters must be on the letter-headed paper of the referees and include their signatures.
- Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam: please attach the scanned original certificate by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle) of the respective embassies in Beijing, Ulan Bator or Hanoi
We will send information during the application and admission process to your correspondence address. Please inform us immediately of any change of address, telephone number or email.
Officially certified copies and translations
Where specified, officially certified scanned copies must be provided. If the documents are not in English or German, officially certified translations must be provided additionally. If the document/translation comprises more than one page, every page must be certified. A copy of an officially certified copy or a translation must be certified anew. Official certifications of copies can be issued in Germany by the following authorities: offices of the mayor or chief magistrate, civic authorities, police authorities, courts, notaries. Schools and universities may only certify their own certificates. In foreign countries, the following offices are authorised to issue certifications: the diplomatic missions of the Federal Republic of Germany or the authorities in the respective countries which are authorised to issue certifications. Certifications must be in German, English or French.